On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 7:02 PM Colin Walters <walt...@verbum.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2022, at 11:41 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> >> As we've talked about before, it's not possible to make updates
> >> transactional.  It involves, per spec and depending on processor
> >> architecture, updating multiple files in different directories,
> >> potentially on different filesystems entirely, one of which is fat32.
> >
> > EFI/FedoraA
> > EFI/FedoraB
> >
> > NVRAM bootorder uses A then B
> >
> > Update the bootloader in EFI/FedoraB
> >
> > At any point of failure, only the EFI/FedoraA bootloader path is used.
> > Once everything in EFI/FedoraB is committed to stable media, set
> > bootnext FedoraB. If the boot fails, automatic failback to FedoraA. If
> > the boot succeeds, bootupd can change bootorder. B then A.
>
> I think it makes sense for us to make some use of BootNext indeed.  However,
> this heavily overlaps with a potential move to UKIs, which effectively
> obviate this whole thread by dropping shim and grub out of the equation.  It
> also overlaps with https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/2725 where
> ostree could potentially start using BootNext itself - and this is I guess
> strongly pushing things to be more integrated.  (I'd tried to keep the two
> independent, but...)

The problem as it stands with UEFI BootNext booting the kernel
directly, as opposed to using grub2 or similar, is that it doesn't
currently deal with loading initrd/kernel command line strings etc.
There's people looking at solving those issues in a few different ways
though so it may be less of a problem in the not too distant future.