From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Demetre SV1UY
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 10:21 AM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: Winlink Can Be Reliable in Emergencies

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Roger J. Buffington"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Demetre SV1UY wrote:
>
> > Well,
> >
> > Do we really need contests, ragchewing, voice qsos, voice nets, cw
> > qsos, cw nets, on HF? Realy it all depends on what each individual
> > wants to do! Your millage might vary! It's a hobby OM! Each guys
> > pleasure might be someone else's discomfort, but when an emergency
> > arises then I think that everyone else's hobby needs must back off
> > for a while until the emergency is over. I think this is fair! When
> > human lives are in danger then everything else should be of a lower
> > priority.
> >
> > 73 de Demetre SV1UY
>
> The contests, ragchewing, qsos, nets, etc. that you reference ARE ham
> radio. Sending internet emails over the air to no purpose whatever,
> without even listening to see if the channel is clear, is NOT ham
> radio. It is abuse, which is what Winlink mostly is.
>
> de Roger W6VZV

OK Roger,

To you it might be a bad idea sending e-mails over the air, but to
many others it is a good idea. It is a good as having a voice QSO, a
CW QSO, a contest, chewing the rag, etc. Any form of communication
that uses Ham Radio equipment and the Ham radio bands to allow radio
amateurs to communicate with each other is Ham Radio (being WINLINK,
PSKMAIL, FLARQ, TCP/IP over PACKET RADIO, AX25 over PACKET RADIO,
APRS, etc. does it matter?)!!!
Whether you like it or not all the above DIGITAL MODES are here to
stay!!! They are not going to go away because you don't like them. If
you don't like them don't use them!

"Merry Christmas everyone"

73 de Demetre - SV1UY