You were having a Pactor QSO and someone called CQ nearby in another
mode. You were able to identify the CQing operator. From your after-
the-fact email conversation with this person, its clear that he heard
your signal. If he assumed that your Pactor signal was coming from
a "robot" and that it was therefore ok to CQ nearby or worse, then he
behaved badly; I hope you set him straight.

   73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "John Becker, WØJAB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Dave I agree with you  but how about a new twist to this.
> Not too long ago I was having a real nice keyboard to
> keyboard QSO with K2MO - Tony on dial freq 7,077.4
> Pactor when a member of this list starting calling CQ
> on another mode. I did get a call and email him asking if
> he did hear the pactor signal and his reply was a "yes".
> He also said  "well it was one of them robots" WRONG...
>
> So it not just the Pactor station. This happens a number of
> times. There are a lot of KB2KB pactor QSO out there no
> matter what Roger says.
>
> John, W0JAB
>

> At 02:40 PM 12/25/2007, you wrote:
> >We've been through this too many times, Demetre. I know you "get
it", you just won't admit it.

> >The core issue is not that WinLink conveys email or uses a digital
mode protocol that's wide or narrow -- its that its unattended
stations (PMBOs) transmit without first listening to ensure that the
frequency is locally clear. The fact that some human operators do
this is regrettable and should be aggressively discouraged, but is no
excuse for building automated systems that exhibit the same
unacceptable behavior. To refer back to your highway analogy, the
fact that some people drive cars while they are intoxicated and
occasionally injure or kill others is no excuse for building a high-
speed computer-controlled vehicle incapable of detecting pedestrians
in its path.