Hi Rick,

Well, I had a go at Pactor and could not make it work, between the
SCS PTC-IIex and the SCS PTC-Pro I have here. The radios were the
problem, they would kerchunk away here and go nowhere, so I gave up
on it. I guess the radios were not suited to the switching times
required for Pactor.
Those same 2 radios are great on Packet though and I think the SCS
TNCs probably offer better performance on Packet than my Kantronics
TNCs (I have about 6 of them, various models!) I even have an old
original Paccom Pactor modem here :-)
Whilst Winlink and Pactor 3 may offer good data throughput, I have to
ask that is this bandwidth needed for simple text messaging? Next,
people will be wanting to stream Video over HF :-)
As far as emergency comms go.....involving a third party bearer in
the links is scary (the Internet).
Call me a Dinosaur but, I don't wish to use the Internet in any part
of transferring data in my Ham HF data comms operating.
In my case of portable operation, I don't want to be lugging a
laptop, so a small radio, Buddipole antenna, Packet TNC and either of
my 2 Psion palmtops in Terminal mode can operate the TNC just fine,
and they run on AA batteries!
I am going to give PSK31 a shot with the new NUE-PSK modem I have
ordered, but it is only a keyboard to keyboard unit.
As I said, I have a specific requirement for ham HF operation from my
motorcycle, mainly because of where I ride, my luggage space and
power budget.
As far as the FCC petition....everyone has their case to put, based
on how they will be affected by any potential FCC changes, I won't
argue with that but it seems that there are some long held grudges
between groups of operators using various modes. There is only so
much spectrum available and everyone is clamouring for a space or
MORE space, in their area of interest.
I guess U.S. Hams are lucky in that they are able to make submissions
to the FCC, rather than the FCC just mandating what they want, and
the U.S. Ham community simply having to suck it up and accept it.
As I said before, I just hope this FCC stuff does not sour people
against each other in the hobby. Like, Ham radio is meant to be fun!

73s

Jack VK4JRC

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> There will always be varying viewpoints on various technical
issues. The
> difference today is that we have vehicles to actually allow the
average
> person to discuss them worldwide such as through the democratizing
> process on groups like digitlradio.
>
> There are those who do not really seem to grasp the paradigm shift
in
> the world because it can be messy (as democracy in action always
is!)
> There are others who strongly oppose democratization because they
are
> losing the power to control others. Individuals have nearly equal
> standing at times, even against larger organizations. It also means
that
> extreme views, mentally unbalanced, etc., also get equal time and
we do
> not have the moderating of a larger power as we once had. Now the
> individual must do the sifting and winnowing and there are many who
are
> not able or willing to do that.
>
> What we have on groups like this one,  is a "Letters to the Editors
> Column" without an editor who had the power to filter out things
that
> they did not want to come through. Of course whether this was good
or
> bad depended upon your viewpoints. If we can not discuss these
views,
> then these groups would have little or reduced value because you
never
> knew who or what was being blocked.
>
> The BBS concept (without the internet) was THE system in place for
well
> over a decade. We initially had worldwide packet HF BBS systems,
however
> they were less effective after the sunspots declined and the higher
> bands became unusable. Packet does not work well on HF. It requires
> relatively high S/N ratio for any kind of throughput. The Aplink
system
> was set up with the Amtor protocol, to allow HF connections to BBS
MBO's
> (Mail Box Operations), since Amtor was nearly (not completely)
error
> free and could work much deeper into the noise. It only has a
single
> character case, so was similar to messaging sent via CW or voice
nets.
> These BBS's eventually were tied in to local VHF packet BBS systems
so
> that hams could send traffic worldwide although it could take days
> get through. Everything was done via amateur radio RF links for HF
> although there were "wormholes" (practically speaking, the early
> internet), that made big jumps to connect VHF packet.
>
> When Pactor and Clover II became available, the BBS system moved to
> these modes and renamed the system Winlink to include a MS Windows
GUI
> interface along with the two new modes providing the transport.
>
> In the late 1990's the Winlink controllers realized that the system
> traffic load was very limited and that the internet could be used
to off
> load most of the traffic. A Netlink system was added to Winlink,
but I
> did not get involved in that so only read a little about it in the
RTTY
> Digital Journal which at that time was THE vehicle of information
for
> digital operation until its failure.
>
> The Winlink controllers met and came up with a new topology for
Winlink
> and developed an internet centric system that now uses the internet
> route traffic on a worldwide system with varying distances for the
RF