You bring up a good point and this is a good time to bring it up.  The
definition of the Amateur Service in the US (and I think the ITU's is
the same) indicates the service is for radiocommunications between
duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a
personal aim (paraphrased by me).

Why such a "need for speed" for radiocommunications between amateurs?
 Is the difference between sending Joe Blow, XX0XXX an email from me
at 200 wps versus 1000 cps a REALLY big deal?  What real advantage
does it buy the regular amateur?

It seems like the "need for speed" has become a goal unto itself with
little advantage to the broad majority who have to live with the wide
bandwidths that higher speeds require.  I'm curious as to why the need
for speed is driving some folks when it comes to amateur to amateur
communication.  Perhaps someone can explain it to me.  It appears
obvious from Rick's comment that a lot of amateur radio software
developers seem to get more kicks out of working on lower speed, low
snr protocols.

I also keep seeing the "need for speed" touted as technical innovation
when in reality it is using off the shelf commercially produced
modems.  Where's the innovation that a bandwidth limit is going to
stop?  Is it just that it will keep us from using faster commercially
produced modems?

Jim
WA0LYK