--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I used the Packet network for many years, only as an operator and
> 'interested party'.  I did talk to some sysops, and most were people
who
> wanted the network to work.  However, there were some who I suspected
> had either become sysops because of the power that it gave them over
> their fellow Radio Amateurs, or who wanted to kill the system dead.  A
> common ploy in the business world.
>
> Looking at the new systems, I'm sure they will find their users and
> devotees, but, to be honest, I'm not sure that they will catch on in
the
> UK, or even most of Europe, to a great extent.
>
> The obvious rival is internet email.  Love it or hate it, and argue
that
> it's not using Amateur Radio all you like, and that it could be knocked
> out by accidents and any number of causes, but it's just too cheap, too
> fast and, mostly, too reliable to send stuff over the air instead.  Add
> to that the need to dedicate radios and antennas to it to make it work,
> which was why I did not run a BBS or an APRS node, as I prefer the
> freedom to use my own antennas whenever I wanted, and the added
problems
> of not wanting to loose a band due to having a transmitter going on a
> nearby frequency for periods of the day, and it might seem selfish
but I
> wasn't prepared to do that.  All cudos to those that did, and paid out
> to put node transceivers on towers etc., etc. but it takes alot of
> organising to do it...
>
> There will always be the special interest groups, who will do it
because
> they want to prove it can be done and those that live in places where
> sending email is expensive, or difficult, of course.  However, as
> Amateurs, it seems to me that we do seem to keep coming out with new
> ideas to reinvent the wheel at times.
>
> Dave (G0DJA)

Hi Dave,

Wise words OM. I have also seen the UK packet network first hand since
 I am in the UK at least twice a year for a period of 2-3 weeks each
time and I know what you are talking about. Also in the UK once the
aerial masts were sold to private companies many PACKET NODES died as
well, as well as many voice repeater nodes.

As for the Internet being the biggest competitor to PACKET RADIO and
the like, yes it is the biggest competitor, but ostly radio hams got
sick of the NETROM BARONS and PACKET KINGS, hi hi hi!!!

I personally still like PACKET Radio and I still maintain a 19k2 link
and 9k6 and 1k2 user ports along with an APRS IGATE and DIGI here in
Athens. A few people still use the PACKET RADIO nodes but not many. I
also use my mobile phone as a GPRS modem connected to my laptop and
this does not cost me more than 3.5 EURO a month. Also my PDA when
there is free WiFi access in the city since the PDA is always in my
pocket. I use these when I want to surf the Internet and I am away
from any fast Internet at home, but when I have radio access I like to
use 9k6 or 1k2 PACKET RADIO for my Ham stuff, or my SCS-PTCII modem
for PACTOR/PACKET/RTTY/PSK31 QSOs or HF radio e-mail especially when I
am on holiday and I can get all the necessary rigs with me. After all
I enjoy using my radio gear more than the real Internet, especially
when I am away from home and away from my ADSL or WiFi backup link.

Mind you people in France and Germany and Switzerland have a marvelous
PACKET RADIO NETWORK and they have upgraded to 76k8 long ago so PACKET
RADIO is not DEAD in Europe. I think the Germans especially and the
French have done a marvelous job in PACKET RADIO NETWORK in their
countries.
They do not care about Internet taking over, they just try to maintain
and improve their network constantly. It is not a coincidence that SCS
is a German company. Also FLEXNET and DAMA are both made by German
Hams and FPAC by the French Hams. These 3 are the best Network
Switching Protocols in Packet Radio.

So really if we are to improve our hobby and more than anything else
digital modes that we all seem to care about, we should perhaps take
some lessons from these guys in Germany, France, Switzerland and also
in Holland where they also still have a decent Packet Network as I
read in various Radio Amateur lists.

I am sure that some radio amateurs that live in these places and are
also members of this list can tell us much more than I said. We can
definatelly take some lessons from them.

73 de Demetre SV1UY