Rein, I did finally get your Puppy ISO to work on my laptop, it was
your latest Ham Puppy version I downloaded today , Fldigi fired up
ok, with the Tigertronics SL USB interface.
Question...Can PSKmail use PSK31 mode? My reason is that I only have
a 10 watt ICOM 703 radio, for my portable ops. So......signals are
not strong, and I have no need for higher data rates of PSK250.
The reason for all this is that I am going on a motorcycle trip in
South Africa, where there are not many stations, so I will probably
be communicating to others outside the country, IF there are any
PSKmail operators I can hear :-)
My reasoning for trying to get around PSKmail was to try and avoid
carrying a laptop. With the old type TNCs, you can use an AA battery
powered RS232 terminal to drive them. I have one of these, works
great on Packet TNCs. Also on Amtor, Pactor and PSK31 with SCS PTC-IIEx TNC

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Psion_Workabout_Mx__5378172

Also the Psion 3MX too

http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/models/psion-series-3mx.htm

With these units, I just use the on board Comms Program.
IF I use my Palm IIIx, I have the "On Line" comms program (now
discontinued)  from Mark Space in the U.S.
It has macros and a few other features too.
NONE of the above can use soundcard software. The good thing about
them all is that they run on AA or AAA batteries :-)

73s

Jack VK4JRC