As we have been finding out through testing,  ALE may have a place in a
few niche interest areas but it is likely to be of limited value on the
ham bands, and not well supported, since the shared nature of the bands
do not lend themselves well to this kind of continuously dedicated
frequencies. If the FCC does rule that ALE soundings are a legal
activity, there is the potential for unintended consequences if we allow
beaconing throughout the HF bands.

The data transfer of ALE is not good enough from what the majority of us
have tried when using the wide bandwidth form of 8FSK2000, however the
narrow 8FSK400 mode has proven itself to be quite robust, a far better
fit for a shared frequency band, and with better throughput, in many
cases, because it works under much more difficult conditions. This is
especially pronounced during emergency situations with low power and
mediocre antennas!

If you really want to get support for your special interest area, I
might suggest that you need to be careful with your choice of words. It
is far better to work with human nature, and not against it. You need to
come up with positive reasons to support something and if you have
really have something of value to offer, others may gravitate toward it
over time.

Because one of your spokespeople takes an extreme attitude toward
others, you have paid a dear price. One only has to look at the vitriol
on qrz.com and other forums, when something like ALE is brought up. It
is nearly universally derided by 95% or more of the posters. You need to
think about why that is.

Consider the belief that older technology is of reduced value compared
with new technology. It is these very same "old technologies" that
actually work during an emergency. Particularly, the one main need of
tactical voice which is the most needed emergency communications. This
is one of the inherent values of amateur radio over other forms of
emergency communications. The high technology systems can fail and when
they do it is the low tech systems that can temporarily provide limited
emergency assistance. It can not replace the previously damaged
infrastructure but it can help. Having digital modes can be helpful too,
if they work. The more complicated systems, and the more they depend
upon the internet for most of their operation, such as Winlink 2000, the
more risk you have that it won't be there when you most need it.
Building decentralized systems that can also interoperate with existing
systems, (even Winlink 2000) makes much more sense.

You claim that "some are saying we have no business even providing
emergency service." and yet no one from  this group has claimed that
hams should not be involved with emergency communications.
Misrepresenting other hams' viewpoints does not lend credence toward
your views. Why make such statements?

Instead of complaining about RTTY contests vs a digital mode that may
not be legal, you should be welcoming clarification from the FCC. And if
the FCC rules against you, you should then petition them to change the
rules. But your group is not doing this. Instead you try to silence
anyone who even tries to get some clairity on what is and what is not
responsible behavior in such cases. Is it because you know the rules do
not support what you are currently doing and it makes you uncomfortable
to have other hams point out that what you are doing appears to be in
violation of the rules? It appears so to me. Why else would your
spokesperson act in such a malignant manner and personally attack those
who want clarification?

The ironic part of all this is that most of us have a lot more in common
than have differences. Most all the hams I personally know want to help
at some level depending upon their interests and abilities.But when you
are unwilling to deal with basic issues and attack those who do, you
ought not be wondering why you do not get the support you are looking for.

>> Andy wrote:
>>
>> Digital communication for ham emcomms is similarly a farce.  ALE is
>> underused and grossly misunderstood by hams. Winlink appears effective
>> but out of the reach of most hams (on HF) , and other modes without
>> ARQ are just not going to cut it.  NBEMS is too new to evaluate, PSK
>> Mail  has promise but does not have enough users.

-----

Alan wrote:

It really disillusioned me that the most advanced network we could
assemble in coastal MS was 2m voice nets with HF interstate links.
1950's tech. We could have well used packet capability from 80's, but
largely MIA. Needed email/hf links, but few had airmail/P23. (But those
who did provided a real and valuable service)

-------