Hello!

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if this comes across off
base.  But, I came here looking for information on digital modes for
Amateur Radio - not various, multi-post messages about various peoples
opinion (and arguments) on unrelated topics.

I am sure that these discussions are important to a select group of
folks, but are there no other places for these types of discussions to
take place?

I belong to several Ham related Yahoo! forums and this one certainly
produces (by far) the most emails; however, few are related to the
topic at hand.  So, I have to weed through these other messages to get
to the "real" ones.

If this just the way of this forum, that's fine - I will just
unsubscribe.  I hope that isn't the case, but, if it is, can anyone
recommend a forum for exploring digital modes within Ham Radio?

Thanks and 73,
Robert - N4IJS

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Rud Merriam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In Katrina and Rita shelters were opened where there were people in
need.
> Whether supplies could readily reach them was a problem to be
solved, not a
> requirement for shelter location. You are not understanding the
widespread
> nature of these disasters. It was easier to solve the supply problem
than
> the rescue problem.
>
> A supply truck or helicopter with supplies can make it in once a
day. The
> multiple vehicles, trucks or helicopters, to evacuate people were not
> available.
>
> Your "hypothetical" versus others "real world" experience is
misleading you.

> Rud Merriam K5RUD
> ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX
> http://TheHamNetwork.net
>

> Your first paragraph indicates that the shelter was so remote and
isolated
> that it required helicopter delivery of food and water.  Yet you also
> indicate that you were in your truck which indicates you could drive
to the
> shelter.  Maybe you were driving a monster truck? Some of this
appears to be
> an appeal to emotion.
>
> I HAVE been around long enough to know neither the ARC or SA would
open a
> shelter in a location that was not reachable by regular supply
vehicles nor
> that had SOME kind of communications.  I am pretty sure that the
government
> authorities would not authorize this either.  To do otherwise is simply
> asking for the shelter staff to require 'rescuing' at some time in the
> future thereby adding to the problem.
> Consequently, when you say no communications, you are overstating
the facts.
> Now maybe, a runner in a vehicle may the only means of
communication, but