Hi Rick,

 From reading your comments I see you still fail to fully understand
the potential value of ALE to Amateur Radio, especially to ECOM.

ALE is the great facilitator to follow on communications, nothing
aside from MIL-STD AQC-ALE and the host of copy cat systems such by
the likes of CODAN, RHODE & SCHARTZ and TADIRAN even come close to
the HF linking capabilities of ALE.

Rick you continue to spew out all kinds of negative comments and spin
that is just not correct with just enough positive comment that there
is hope for you in understanding ALE yet. Keep it up as it likely
benefits someone that may read what you have to say and gets
interesting in looking into ALE as they may not otherwise get
interested, much like there is no such thing as a stupid question,
someone may benefit from the question being asked.

The FCC sub bands for automated operation 100% appropriate for ALE
operation when a station is Sounding, attended or unattended in the
digital sub bands and other uses of ALE are appropriate under the
rules outside those sub bands, as well as outside the digital sub
bands altogether if one lives within FCC jurisdiction.

After the ALE link has been established based on whatever type of ALE
call has been made, preferably based on the best ranked LQA frequency
selection, the follow on protocols/waveforms used are NOT limited to
the 125 wpm AMD protocol (which is a very basic FEC protocol) but
rather allows for anything to be used after the ALE link. However the
DTM and especially the DBM protocols are very good, DBM ARQ is every
bit as robust if not more so than GTOR or PACTOR I as a matter of fact.

Another benefit at this point in time WRT ALE as applied to the ARS
is that it is no longer limited to a hardware only solution with a
narrow range of expensive options as it originally was, this was the
stumbling point of ARS interest when ALE was first introduced to the
ARS in the pages of QEW and QST. ALE tools being software
modem/controller based using the PC Sound Device Modem (PCSDM) has
brought ALE to any Radio Amateur interested, we are only at the
starting gate with respect to ALE and ARS application, you really
have not seen anything yet compared to what is to come.

What you just don't seem to get is that an ALE network provides the
best means of supporting 24/7 HF networking in the selection of
frequency and station(s) of interest via numerous linking call types
to enable either one to one or one to many station communications,
attended or unattended, local drop or store/forward, bridged to one
or more automated delivery systems with return paths outside HF radio
or not. There really are no limitations to the application of ALE
within or outside of the ARS when it comes to HF communications link
establishment, it is truly and unlimited system. Can the application
of ALE be adapted within the existing limited framework of ARS
operations, yes, it already has, should ARS welcome and adapt to the
full potential of ALE is really the question, for which I feel the
answer is Yes. However I am not running around pushing that as an
agenda, I you have not noticed my posts are in response to those with
questions or positions where the facts need presenting. In my view
either the ARS ( especially those involved with ECOM ) will grasp the
application of ALE and put it to work for the benefit of the ARS or
not, if not then it will be a wasted opportunity to improve Amateur
Radio HF networking in my opinion.

Rick, I can't put my finger on just what it is yet, but something is
standing in your way of really seeing the potential of ALE.  The
potential of ALE based communications to the Amateur Radio Service
for HF networking is huge, you seem to be part way there, I hope you
hang in there.

Anyhow, lunch time is running out and I need to finish up and get
back to my day job work.

73

/s/ Steve, N2CKH