Where did I say hams weren't needed for support communications?  Jeez,
when did ham radio volunteers become first line search and rescue
personnel?  Too many people seem to miss the distinction between
communications emergency and search and rescue operations.  Emergency
communications doesn't mean being in the front line right alongside
the search and rescue folks.  I certainly am not trained to be in that
kind of an area even if only doing communications work!

What I did say was that hams, acting as hams, shouldn't put themselves
in a position where they could add to the load on the search and
RESCUE personnel.  If a ham is also a search and rescue member that is
a different story.  Here in the US, neither the ARC or SA will open
shelters that are not fully supportable by their own personnel.  They
do not open shelters that are only supportable by search and rescue
personnel.  In most cases I've been involved with, the authorities
won't even let them into a disaster area until it has been cleared.

I already have the beard growth!

Jim
WA0LYK