This seems to me to sum up much of the difficulty in working together to
solve a common problem.

It is my understanding (and someone can correct me if I am wrong about
this) that the ARRL approached the FCC a while back and asked them if
the rules could be changed here in the U.S. so that bandplans formed by
a body that represents U.S. radio amateurs would carry the force of law.
(Perhaps that could include both IARU regional plans and the ARRL's own
bandplan?).

The FCC declined to support such a rule change. Therefore, bandplans are
still only a recommendation only and theoretically do not have to be
followed.

On the other hand, my further understand is that Mr. Hollingsworth has
written letters to hams who are not operating within the bandplan which
suggests that they may use this for possible enforcement action.

Personally, I would rather it be clearly understood what is expected by
the FCC and then we can all follow the same rules with no need for
equivocation. For those who do not support a given rule, there is always
the redress by petition.

My personal goal is to try and make sense of the bandplans, (not always
easy to do), and follow them within the legal framework of our country's
rules. Hopefully this will be true for other radio amateurs from their
respective countries.