Elaine

You really know how to make Friends with comments like
" STONE AGE ".

Seems to me that the ones dragging there knuckles on
the ground are those who fail to accept the fact that
there are other things but using the ham bands for
E-MAIL ....

When you start to act like others exist and they have
rights too try again ....

BTW .....

I DON'T DO CODE ..... but have a open mind for thoes
who do .......

--- "Patricia (Elaine) Gibbons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Regarding the continuing vocal disagreement (and
> flame-wars)  between the
> "live chat" operators, "Morse" operators, and the
> "BBS/Winlink" or "ALE network" operators:
>
> Two HF bands are discussed below as examples of
> possible ongoing
> evolution throughout the amateur radio service's
> spectrum allocations

> --------------------
>
> There is some history that relates to the popularity
> and use of various
> non-Morse
> operations prior to year 1995,  and now .  Non-Morse
> operation in the past
> was only live keyboard to keyboard mode until the
> innovative spirit of
> amateur
> radio operators realized the value of ARQ modes for
> error-free message
> handling, starting first with HF Packet forwarding.
>

> Back "in the stone age" of amateur radio, and before
> the advent of
> "sound-card modes",
> the prevailing location for Amtor and pactor was
> specifically between
> 14070 and 14080, with 14080 to 14099 being for RTTY
> operations.
>
> Back in this "Stone age",  40 meter Amtor/pactor was
> allocated to the
> 7070 to 7080 KHz segment, and RTTY operations from
> 7080 to 7099 KHz ....
>
> As time passed, fewer individual stations were using
> Amtor/pactor/G-tor for
> live-chat, which left primarily the pactor stations
> being used for BBS
> mailboxes
> and message forwarding ... This change in usage was
> primarily due to the
> preference of radio amateurs to adopt less-costly
> methods of digital
> communications
> that did not require the investment of $300 or more
> for multi-mode TNC's
> of the time such as the early versions of the
> Kantronics KAM; MFJ-1278, and
> AEA PK-232 hardware modems.
>
> A solution to the interference problem between ARQ
> modes and widely popular
>  "sound-card", and other types of "Live chat modes"
> using data
> communications
> would be to migrate "live-chat" operations farther
> down the band, such as
>
> 7050 to 7070 , and 14050 to 14070  ....
>
> Due to the elimination of Morse code as a
> requirement for an amateur radio
> license, it is likely in the future that the
> "current use" of the
> "RTTY/DATA"
> bands would be inverted in usage, i.e. Morse code
> operations would
> *primarily*
> be in a more narrowly-defined sub band, while data
> modes would exist over a
> much
> larger band segment in each amateur radio band than
> Morse operations ...
>
> On a legal basis, Morse operations would continue to
> [...]

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.