If you can not discuss the most critical digital radio issues of the
time on a given group, then they will migrate to some other group, often
along with other things you might have wished have remained.  These
issues will not just go away by themselves and to actually want to
prevent discussing them before they go to the FCC, seems about the worst
idea I have ever heard. Completely contrary to why you would have a
discussion group which is the only source of this kind of information
for most of us who are not insiders with their respective national
groups (ARRL here in the U.S., etc.)

Many of my current views on digital radio issues, are different than
they were several years ago, precisely because of the ability to sift
and winnow these issues on a larger group. I would never have even been
aware of some of the issues without this group, and now some other
groups that have come along since. Small groups can be OK for narrowly
defined subjects, but they simply don't work for issues that affect
large numbers.

The foreign hams who seem to be the main ones complaining about
discussion (which they don't have to even read if they choose not to),
will be also will be affected by future decisions that are made in other
countries.

One thing I discovered as a moderator of a large worldwide discussion
group (unrelated to ham radio), is that even though some complain, very
few members will leave a group with "too much discussion," even if they
say they will. In fact, you will lose more members not having
discussions that interest them. And closing down discussions, inevitably
result in some of the key posters to migrate to other groups and you
lose that input.

The nearly 99% of a group's membership wo will rarely, if ever, provide
any real input, may not realize how much effort and energy goes into
posting to a group. Especially if well thought out and formatted to good
readability.