Hi Rick
You could get the Free RADIOAMATEUR Trial Test version [for 30 day trial]
and do some experiments with that in the higher bands - this will allow you
experiment up to 8000 bits per second in wide bandwidth or up to 6666 bits
per
second in normal SSB bandwidth on HF

You should run a Sample rate test program like CheckSR etc at the sample
rate of 48k
and then enter these figures in the program under
Options/Preferences/Hardware -
good transfer speeds will still depend on BOTH  ends having calibrated
correctly

If you do try the TRIAL software  you will find that there are MANY other
options
available to you to use like Waterfall - Email Client - Beacon - Unconnected
chat
between like stations - compression - File transfer RESUME  if file
uncompleted
at last session and other things

Now to sum things up

Amateurs have the Freeware version .498 to use at no cost for file transfer
and local mail at a speed of up to 2666 bits per second

If you want a permanent Mail-Client version of RFSM8000 it costs $60 US

If you want to be a Mail Server Current price is $180 US

[This is the only issue I have with the pricing - in order to encourage
the use I believe the Server software should be available at no cost
to a few SELECTED stations in various countries who would be
interested in supplying the Server facilities for others to use - remember
that this is an ongoing cost the them to supply these facilities to
other amateurs]

There are many other amateur software writers wanting $50 US for their
software
so I guess inflation has caught up in the requirement for $60 for this
program - hihi
I also realise that there are many other Amateur writers that supply their
software
for FREE and I applaud this - what would all of us retired amateurs do to
keep
our minds active if we didnt have all these things to do and toys to play
with

Yes there are groups here in VK  testing RFSM8000 on VHF but I have no
reports
on hand regarding this at the moment

Les VK2DSG