Hi Rick
Unfortunately - you are right
Les VK2DSG

From: Rick
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 1:00 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Report on RFSM2400 vs. OFDM

Hi Les,

While any of us could use the trial product, there are many other
competing interests to work with these days and it is difficult to spend
much time with something that is unlikely to be a successful product in
ham radio. Even if hams could use the modem in the text digital portions
of the bands here in the U.S. and even if it was free and supported, it
might still languish. But if it carries a cost, it will almost certainly
not succeed. The world has changed so much, even in the past couple of
years. I have seen superb programs discontinued or released into the
public domain because no one would buy them anymore. From what I can
tell, the RFSM product seems like a very good one, but may be more of a
commercial product.

There are a few hams, but I suspect a decreasing number, who will pay
money for certain kinds of programs, particularly logging programs that
they have bought into years ago and want to continue using because they
are familiar with them. But other software authors such as Dave
Bernstein, have made that quite unnecessary with the DX Lab Suite. Same
with Patrick"s mostly free Multipsk, and same for Simon's HRD/DM780
programs. Now we have VBDigi/Flarq, EasyPal, WinDRM, and so many others
that do specific tasks.

The important thing to keep in mind is not what I would pay for certain
kinds of software, but what will the other hams pay. Even if I valued
RFSM8000 as the best product in its niche, and right now that seems
true, what really matters is will other hams in my area and region be
willing to buy this product?

I will wager than none will. None at all.

And if a good sized number do not have this modem, then my modem will be
of no value. It is difficult enough now to make contacts with many of
the new modes because we are spread into such specialized niches. It has
gotten to the point that some of us have to resort to the internet to
coordinate contacts:(

If I want to use this technology for emergency communications as well as
for fun and enjoyment, it has to be open source or at least freely
available so that enough users will at least consider it. Even then the
choices are becoming quite intimidating to new entrants into digital
radio. And then consider what most digital hams use for their digital
modes? Mostly PSK31, SSTV, and RTTY and not much else as a percentage of
digital activity.