I'm not sure what Les wrote about the cost of the product, but my
understanding was that there was a temporary $60 price associated with
RFSM8000 from the normal price.

The question is: who will buy it at any price?

If you have seen what has happened to other developers who tried to
charge for their products, some of them having excellent value, they
simply failed to find a market. In fact, I would be hard pressed to come
up with any new ham software products in recent time that have taken off
and been purchased by many hams.

Consider programs such as the paperchaser log which was a niche logging
program. After a few years the author discontinued the product because
he only had a few buyers. I sure would not want to have been one of
those buyers. But I nearly was as it looked like a very good program!

Imagine someone buying such a program that t is now free, but worse, it
is no longer been developed or supported. I suspect the same thing
happened with the emergency group that thought they were going to be
able to charge $50 per seat for their emergency program. I don't think
it succeeded. But others have gone on to develop similar programs at no
charge. But even those programs are not heavily used either. There is a
limited amount of mindshare with all this technology and many of us are
on overload as it is. (Not only for ham programs, but the hundreds of
competing programs and even operating systems which are open source or
at least free as in beer).

I am now using an astronomy program that is completely free and that is
as good as what you used to have to pay $50 to $100 for just a few years
ago. The Open Office Suite has made it possible to avoid buying the MS
Office Suite saving at least $500. I do not consider this a bad thing at
all. It makes more software available to more people and equalizes the
power to everyone and not just those with a lot of money.

Where the RFSM8000 type of product seems to have the greatest value is
in the commercial market. Assuming that it can compete with multi
thousand dollar STANAG modems, it should be an excellent buy for those
who use this technology. I know that I probably speak for a majority of
hams who wish them well.

As I have said many times, what I am looking for is a program that
provides ARQ chat that can operate under the worst possible conditions
and can also scale if conditions warrant so that I can send any data
that I am interested in sending and is legal to use in my country. The
technology has been invented to do slow, medium, and fast speeds (1000
wpm text data) depending upon the conditions, but no one has been able
to put this together in a simple to use package that will appeal to the
mainstream digital ham.

I believe the best approach, and I see some are talking about this
lately, are programs that are modular and you can bolt on various parts
and not have to reinvent the wheel over and over with each new mode.