One of the test frequencies on 80 meters continues to be 3584 dial
frequency plus audio frequency. I usually use 1500 Hz to center the best
for my rig.

Las night I had pretty good copy on Skip KH6TY and Dave, W1HKJ, and the
W3? station when they used MFSK16. QRN was S9 or a bit higher. The
problems with MFSK16 is that it is often very difficult to figure out
where the tones are and position the passband correctly in the waterfall
in order to decode the signals.

When I used Multipsk, I could not differentiate the signal even though I
could hear it just fine. Maybe I need to work on setting up the
waterfall better? When I used Ham Radio Deluxe/Digital Master 780, I
could much more easily see the tones and get it to decode. When I tried
running both programs, Multipsk seemed to decode the best, however there
were a few times that DM780 was able to correctly decode when Multipsk
did not. The frequency between the two was off by something like 30 - 50
Hz or so.

If I understand it right, DM780 does not have a correction for digital
modes other than something for SSTV, whereas Multipsk has a calibration
you can do. And the error was close to difference so that probably
explains it. From Patrick's recent comments, the more tones you have and
the closer they are together, the more critical the need for accuracy on
calibration.

I was not listening when the stations were running DEX, but from my
experience, DEX 11 would have been very marginal in such conditions even
though slower DEX baud rates may have worked a bit better, but the
throughput is quite slow and may not be fast enough to be useful for
messaging. DEX's advantages seem to be ease in tuning and ability to
handle extreme ISI.

When I tried to call Skip, I lost the center frequency and could not
find it again, so could not decode his signal. Could not see a tail to
lock on with the cursor. This is the main problem with MFSK16 for me.
Since it requires extremely accurate tuning of only a few Hz, if you can
not find the edges of the tones, it can be impossible to get it tuned
in. One thing that I have tried to remember to do is to record the
center frequency when you do lock in on a signal as both programs give
you the audio frequency to the nearest Hz. That way as long as they
don't move, you should be able to get your QRG on theirs. But I was not
able to do it last night. When Skip switched to PSK31, it was no problem
at all to tune in to the signal, but PSK does not work well with that
level of QRN and I could only decode a few characters and not enough to
make out what he was saying:(

The stations mentioned some thing else like DSX or something like that
(can't remember but similar to DEX). Is there another DEX type
derivative?  Or was that a typo or hit? Glad to see that others are
using my DEX coined acronym for Domino EX:)