It took me a while today, but with the new version 3.1 of fldigi, was
able to get the Windows version to work with the xml file to my ICOM 756
Pro 2.

For the average ham, I think that there would need to be a lot more
explanation, perhaps more of a cookbook approach where even the most
basic information needs to be explained. Otherwise it can take many
hours of sperimentin' HI.

Dave, W1HKJ in a recent post on another group pointed out that you can
find out the available ports by holding your cursor over the open rig
control config menu. I did not realize that, but knew that my West
Mountain rig talk USB to CI-V was set on COM6. So you need to know the
COM port your interface is using.

Then you need to download the correct xml file and edit it. I rarely
have ever edited an xml file, but finally realized that I did not have
to get some special program, but could use Wordpad (not Notepad) to
bring up the file and make the necessary changes and save them. What I
did not realize until experimenting for many hours, was that this file
does not seem to go into your main file with the program, but instead
needs to be placed in separately located folder depending upon whether
it is for Vista or XP. In my case, using XP, it is under Local Disk C:/
Documents and Settings/<my name>/ fldigi.files which stores many of
these variables.

I was not able to use COM port with numbers. It may be that it only
accepts the Linux type of structure which is /dev/ttySx.  If you are not
familiar with how this works under Linux, you need to subtract one
number from the COM port number to get the ttySx number because Linux
starts naming ports starting with zero. Thus, in my case it was the COM6
port I needed, and I then changed the xml file to insert /dev/ttyS5. The
case is mandatory so all lower case except for the capital S. As you
mentioned, users must rename the file from the original name to rig.xml
which must be present for the program to see these variables.

Hopefully this may help? Perhaps others know additional things that are
not spelled out in the documents yet. I think eventually they will have
a separate doc file for Windows vs the other platforms.

The ability to actually have the first cross platform program of this
type is quite impressive in itself. It supports not only GNU/Linux
variants and Win XP SP2 and Vista, but also OS X, and FreeBSD! I don't
think we have any other multimode digital programs that can do this. I
am sure I speak for many of us who owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to
Dave and all the others who are working together to come up with such
interoperability with not only a multimode digital program, but one that
solves many of the public service and emergency communications messaging
issues.