IMHO, it is ridiculous to suggest that
the "protocol implementers" should change
the protocol to add overhead to accept
cheapo bogus hardware. In many cases, the
excellent worldwide standards have already
been set, and the proliferation of
sub-standard interfaces on the market is
not going to affect the protocols, like the
tail wagging the dog.

There simply is no need to purchase a
poorly designed bogus interface that depends
on VOX, that chops off the beginning of each
transmission or received signal.

It is up to operators themselves to select
a proper interface that conforms to the
standard of digital protocols they intend to
operate. The trend is for more ARQ protocols
being used in ham radio.

There are many excellent interfaces on the
market that function properly. Why bother
with the junk ones?

It is also very easy to homebrew an interface.
I've built several of them in a few hours of
work, and put the plans for them on the web:
http://hflink.com/interface/

Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA