Bluntly, you are ignoring the reality of trends in computer hardware.

Further, my suggestion does not impact any protocol. The protocols require
no changes.

What could be changed is the way a protocol __implementation__ signals that
it ready to transmit. A simple check box on the screen that defines the
radio interface and sending an audio tone, possibly sub audible, is all that
needs to change.

 - 73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD
ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX