The article mentions WinLink developer Rick Muething.

Rick Muething installed the WinLink HF and VHF stuff in our area.

That was when we first noticed the new "packet node" with no callsign and the
alias "OFF". - Illegal as you can get.

The "OFF" node cleverly screws up TheNet nodes so that the NODES list will not
display for users.

After some investigation, it was discovered that it was the TELPAC node Rick
Muething so kindly set up for us that was disrupting thePacket network in our
area.

Anybody here think that it was all just a slight oversight, an error? - Or does
it sound more like something deliberate?

After a public exposure followed by a few private threats, the "OFF" node went
off the air and Packet users here were once again able to enjoy the network we
built here.

Yesterday while node surfing about 150 miles north of my location, I saw a node
list that had "OFF" listed on it - and the nodes to the north of that one were
mysteriously missing from the NODE list.

Apparently there are potential legal issues about using more than one node-hop
in order to access and utilize a TELPAC station - so we'll just eliminate those
nasty Packet networks with their multiple node-hops, eh?

Benito Mussolini would be proud!

Hiram Percy Maxim, on the other hand,  would be sad and disgusted to see such
behavior by amateurs.

If you see a no-callsign "OFF" or "DISABLE" node in your area and can't access
a NODES list, now you know the who, what and why of it.

Heads up.

73 DE Charles, N5PVL