Hi Tony.

Even though the simulation results look promising for MT63, they do
not take real HAM SSB transceiver into account. SSB PA of an average
HAM TRX is usually not very linear and the many carriers of MT63 will
mix with each other, which will show up as an added noise. Also MT63
has very low crest factor, so the effective transmitted power will be
much lower than of Contestia if you do not overdrive the TX. I bet you
will be better of to use Contestia on the air using let's say an
average 100W YaeComWood.

73, Vojtech

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Tony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I was playing with the Contestia mode in an attempt to duplicate the
wpm rate of MT63. I configured Contestia with 16 tones and a bandwidth
of 1K. The sensitivity of the two seemed to be the same and the wpm
rate appeared to be close.

> I then tested both modes with the HF path simulator dialed-in for
selective fading with the SNR set a few db above the minimum decode
threshold. As you can see below, print was better with MT63.

> The deep fades caused garbled characters with Contestia and it would
appear the better copy with MT63 is a result of the redundancy built
into the mode.

> I'm not sure if that's an accurate assessment as to why there is a
difference, but it would seem so. Wonder if anyone can shed some light
on this.