Tony wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> I get the same minimum SNR for Contestia but can squeeze -8db out of
> MT63 when using DM780 and IZ8BLY.

Yesterday I had no luck with DM780 while monitoring Tony's QSO's on
14106. Of course, I have not calibrated DM780, so that is no surprise.
Propagation was not good, but MultiPSK did fairly well.

> The threshold difference shows on-air as well as under controlled
> conditions and so it would seem that the best way to get the most out of
> MT63 is to use software that decodes deeper into the noise.

No doubt...

> The 10-to-1 peak-to-average power ratio is an excellent point and
> it's obvious that Contestia will put more RF into the air on average.
> There's no doubt in my mind that the Contestia 16-1K will do better most
> of the time.

I have doubts on this department. If the peak amplitudes are the same,
as may be happening with the audio tests, the decoding on those
conditions should be equally valid. Of course, Vojtech points out that
MT63 is more sensitive to distortions which are pretty common with some
not so careful operators. Fast attack slow decay ALC could have a chance
of correcting some of the overloads after the transmit IF, but the rest
of the chain, from the audio input to the IF should receive proper audio
levels. I have seen rebel cases of distorted PSK-31 when people closes
the mic gain and distortion remains... because the early  stages of the
transceiver are already overloaded, and I had a real bad luck when
explaining that to the other operator. People should know their way
around...

> On the other hand, it does not seem to recover from the complete
> drop-outs that occur during deep fading or with lightning static the way
> MT63 does.

I was browsing my references this afternoon (local) and I I decided not
to send a reply, since it seemed that Vojtech had a good point and was
not worth arguing about it. Nevertheless, I wonder how the degradating
effect of -30 to -20 dB IMD, the usually accepted values when adding
that to the channel noise.

Even more when I read that Contestia was devised with a flat envelope on
mind (nonlinearity does not affect it) and uses about the same
Walsh-Hadamard code.

But it _might_ mean, conversely, that Contestia is more power greedy, an
important consideration for emergency operation.

> I've tested this theory by removing short 1-to-3 second segments of the
> signal at random intervals and the mode continues to print despite the
> missing 'chunks'. As you say, this could be due to the difference in
> modulation speeds. Is there an alternative mode that I can test that
> might have similar characteristics?

I did not find any details on my references, but seemingly interleaving
is done both in the time and frequency domains, so there is more chance
for MT63 to get the message thru, specially with long interleave. On the
other hand, if someone "pulls the carpet" (heavy doppler) there is a
risk that MT63 will fail strepitously with bits falling on the wrong
bins while a mode with less, wider frequency "bins" (like Contestia or
Olivia) will really shine.

I had really a low esteem for MT-63, but it had been hard to make a
MT-63 QSO before Tony started the present tests campaign. It just
happens that each mode should be used according to its most promiment
strengths.

I still have low steem for Chip-64... 8-)

73,

Jose, CO2JA