From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Bob Donnell
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:47 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [digitalradio] Re: How Can We Push HF Emcomm Messages to
the Field?

And further, this thought should be considered as VHF FM, or VHF SSB? In
base/mobile or mobile/mobile environment, SSB on VHF works over much
greater
distances.

With voice communications, VHF SSB benefits from having flutter
resulting in
the desired signal amplitude going up and down, while the background
noise
level is held pretty constant, by the AGC in the receiver. FM is
opposite
in that regard - when the signal gets weak, the background noise level
comes
up, at least until the squelch closes. In my perception, I seem to be
better able to fill in the gaps in syllables when the signal drops out,
than
when it's filled with noise.

VHF SSB also has the benefit of probably not requiring the mobile
station to
have to take time to set up an antenna. If the mobile station is parked
in
a null, chances are that moving the vehicle a few inches will change a
multipath situation enough to provide good copy. If there's benefit to
be
had by setting up a portable (v.s. mobile) antenna, putting a VHF
omnidirectional stick up 10-20' is a pretty trivial task. While there
can
be benefit to be had by using horizontal antennas, unless you're into
serious weak-signal work, it's not necessary to realize large gains in
coverage, even using omni antennas on both ends, using SSB.

Digital modes that are designed to work well in weak signal
circumstances on
HF SSB rigs will similarly work well on weal signal VHF SSB rigs,
because
the same "linear-mode" technology is involved. Probably the biggest
caveat
to that will be frequency accuracy and stability. Radios on a net will
need
to be well warmed up, or have high stability oscillators, if they are
operating unattended, and expected to be able to be received by the
sender.

I've encouraged those that are working on upgrading our regional
hospital
network to use the IC-706's that they already have set up for HF pactor,
try VHF pactor using the SSB mode, as a way to gain from the more
readily
available spectrum, so they don't have to compete for access to the very
few
frequencies available on HF for digital operations. It'll be interesting
see how they do.

73, Bob, KD7NM