Hi Rick,

Thank you for your comments on Howard's and my posts.

Of course, we prefer using SSB on VHF, because the range is longer. First
tests indicate that DominoEX with SSB has at least a 3 dB advantage over
using FM with DominoEx. We are arranging more tests to be sure.

However,  the fact that today, maybe half of the U.S. amateurs hold only a
Technician license, and do not have access to full HF priviledges, together
with the fact that many hams only have inexpensive FM-only transceivers (but
only a relative few may have VHF or multimode 2m transceivers with SSB
capability), we have decide to explore ways that more hams can participate
in emcomm activities, which means finding out how to use FM-only
transceivers without repeater assistance.

Although you have previously pointed out that many hams already have
vertical antennas, the fact remains that a vertical antenna close to the
ground (2 wavelengths), has about 6 dB less gain than the same antenna
horizontally polarized. At VHF, a 6 dB disadvantage is an enormous
disadvantage, plus many of the directive antennas used for FM are fixed on a
particular repeater, and cannot currently be rotated anyway. Just model a
vertically-polarized antenna over real ground at 2 wavelengths and compare
the gain to the same antenna rotated 90 degrees to horizontal polarization
to see the difference. In order to confirm Cebik's assertion about the gain
difference, I did the modeling myself and found that he is absolutely
correct. No difference in free space, but a huge difference over real
ground.

So, putting it all together, we can get significantly more range by simply
investing in a horizontally-polarized antenna, using the same FM transceiver
that people already have, and, better yet, in an inexpensive TV antenna
rotator so we can communicate in any direction. The optimized two-element
quad that we used for the FM/DominoEx tests (7.5 dBi in free space) can be
built for less than $15 in an hour with all parts from Lowes, plus a SO-239
connector, and turned with a $60 Philips TV antenna rotator from Walmart,
because its wind loading and boom length (13") is so small. A picture of the
little quad is here: http://home.comcast.net/~hteller/OptimizedQuad.jpg. It
is only 20" x 20" x 13", so it will fit in the trunk of a car without having
to be dismanteled. Construction uses schedule 40 PVC, fiberglass "driveway
markers" for spreaders, and #14 insulated house wire, so it is very rugged.

I wish that all existing equipment could be used intead, but without a gain
antenna and horizontal polarization, range without repeater assistance
appears to be just too limited.

It would be useful to know how much range you can get in your hilly rural
area by using FM, DominoEx, and horizontal antennas on 2m.

73, Skip KH6TY
NBEMS Development Team