Hi Howard,

If you respond to someone's response to a question, with asking
questions of your own, then it might be reasonable for some to respond
as Skip did. It seems reasonable to me considering you asked "Is the
volunteer out of VHF range?" You also asked about setting up something
in the bed of a truck and asked about setting up something on HF after
arrival at the destination. All good questions.

While your particular job situation does not seem relevant to this
discussion, the use of VHF, especially SSB VHF does seem particularly
relevant since it is the only other way to get increased distance of
communication between a mobile and fixed/portable/mobile station if HF
is not workable.

The most expensive HF equipment may of of no value when you are trying
to communicate between two points that do not have NVIS propagation. It
can be frustrating, especially during high QRN as well as the skywave
signal just going through the ionosphere and not reflecting back down.
For those experienced with Section level nets that only use 75/80
meters, you know what I mean.

Going higher in HF frequency doesn't work any better (actually shorter
ground/direct wave), and that is why STANAG systems won't work for
"local" communication.

VHF simplex with FM and with minimal antennas are not going to go all
that far as you point out. In fact, in our area, it is difficult enough
for mobiles to repeaters. Sometimes 15 to 20 miles is the best you can
do in shaded areas. With 2 meter SSB, we seem to be able to still get
through when FM can not get through although signals can be very weak.
That is using half wave base to quarter wave mobile antennas. With
improved antennas, depending upon terrain, the distance is going to
extend out to as much as 50 to 100 miles.

This is important because you reduce QRN problems from lightning static
and other noise (admittedly less likely though during a time when power
has failed), and you rarely would need that much distance for Incident
Command to the dispatched mobile.

Bottom line is that HF may not be able to do it 24/7, but 2 meter SSB
may be the best choice. With today's relatively low cost
multimode/multiband rigs, the cost is around $700 or so for 50 watts on
2 meter SSB. As you point out, these rigs are more expensive than 2
meter FM, but tremendously more flexible and a very good value since you
also get an HF rig too.

Moderator, HFDEC yahoogroup