Skip,

Have you found that DominoEX is the best overall digital mode for FM? I
know that PSK modes can have doppler errors from aircraft, but otherwise
seem pretty good for weak signal.

Your point is well taken that many of the hams who participate in public
service activities, may tend to be the younger ones who are Technician
class and can mostly operate on 6 meters and up with their vertical
antennas and FM only rigs. The number of hams with the
multimode/multiband rigs is increasing, at least in our area. It is not
easy to get them to try SSB, much less SSB digital though.

The claim about the ground gain for horizontal antennas may be true but
I have not seen this definitely tested. Have you done some comparisons
with low 2 meter antennas, such a mobile to low base antenna with V and
H and found H consistently better? I don't hold too much stock in
software modeling and only would go with empirical data for that kind of
test.

We will probably bite the bullet eventually and put a rotor back up on
the low tower and maybe go with a Gulf Alpha 11 element V and H antenna
for some reasonable gain. Then we could do the test. The ham that was
going to help us lost his QTH and will not be able to relocate his VHF
antenna farm. Of course they are quite high so maybe there would not
have been as much difference in such a case. One of the best known VHF
ops in my Section says that after running many tests he has never found
either polarization is any different. But he has high antennas so maybe
that accounts for it.

We hope at least soon do some digital mode comparisons on 2 meters,
whether SSB or FM.