This is something that would likely be more at home at the HFDEC
yahoogroup that discusses disaster and emergency communications but lets
look at some of the practical aspects.

Distance was not specified, but it would be rare to send someone out at
night, under dangerous conditions, in unfamiliar territory, to handle
communications at a shelter. It would be unusual to be out of range of
the EOC unless a very rural area with difficult terrain (OK, maybe not
too unlike my region, HI).

After recent testing that my wife and I have been doing with 6 meters vs
2 meters with different modes, we have found that 2 meters works the
best when there are any possible noise problems (less likely with power
lines inoperative though), and using SSB is superior to FM when signals
become weak. This can give you a significant coverage area, especially
if the base station has some gain.

We also use HF mobile since Judy has a Texas Bug Catcher that can be
attached to the receiver hitch. While not optimum according to expert
mobileers, this is the way we are willing to do HF. Contrary to some
claims that bending the antenna over will improve signals, we have not
found this to be true and it does not give you NVIS signals.  Using an
extended wire might be of help but we have yet to test that as it can
not be used in motion.

There are very large and expensive antennas that are claimed as
operating NVIS, but not something that most of us would consider. And I
have not seen any tests done to show how efficient or how vertical the
radiation really is.

When Judy came back from our daughter's home (200 miles) last week, as
is our usual custom, we again performed a number of tests at different
distances and as long as the FoF2 is above 4 MHz, things are often OK
with daytime signals of S5 to S8 (almost no QRN) when she is at the
maximum distance. As she gets closer, her signal often drops lower in
strength since she is likely transmitting with lower angle radiation
than we would like on 75 meters.

Her signal got worse and worse and at 100 miles out things became
unusable at times. Even when she was only 15 miles out, she was barely
able to communicate. And then even at only 7 or 8 miles where she
refueled and had to take off the quick release top whip on her last
transmission she was extremely difficult copy. The FoF2 had dropped
below 2 MHz by then. Some of you may have noticed that lately we have
had barely 1 MHz FoF2 in the evening. I just checked and at about ~8 pm
CST, almost the entire U.S. is at 2 MHz.

This means that you may find HF to be of very limited value in the
evening. Since higher frequencies are even worse at close distances,
other than ground wave, (which is only a few miles), and since 160 is so
difficult to use for mobile, I am convinced that there really needs to
be more of a focus on VHF SSB. One other supporting point is that many
new mobile transceivers now include VHF and UHF SSB.