FWIW, in the response to Gustav....

It was known that Region 4 Resources would be deploying into the area in
support of the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Organization.

Days ahead, info was exchanged on formal net operations in that area to
allow members from Region 4 to check propagation and effective
communications into what was projected to be the effective area; region
6, which is a fairly big target area.

Propagation, time of day and available frequencies were reviewed and a
net plan was decided on to allow the best chance for reliable
communications into the affected area for 24 hour operations to support
the deployed members from region 4 as they traveled into the affected
area, in-transit to their various support locations and to get them
safely back home to region 4.

NCS were lined up on 2 hour shifts, and a pool of 12 were scheduled to
make sure each day was covered in every 2 hour slot with a minimum of
operator fatigue.

One member was appointed to gather status reports on the deployed teams
and report up the chain of command

Weather conditions were constantly given directly to the teams via voice
to advise them what they were traveling into, as Gustav was leaving and
they were traveling into the edges of the affected area.

NVIS can be achieves with two 102" whips, one front and one back, joined
in the center over the vehicle, but it is better to have a support team,
trained and ready, to understand propagation, MUF, general band
conditions and be in emergency net operation with as many members as
possible making every attempt possible to shut and listen.

The net can periodically be extended by NCS (Net Control Station)
calling for only stations with Good Readable to Loud and Clear copy on
NCS, and in turn having them make the same call to determine the relay
path.  An accurate region roster and some idea of geography helps NCS to
determine effectives of net and who to use for relay from deployed team
members, if NCS does not have directly copy.

NCS always chooses an alternate NCS, the furthest distance possible with
reliable copy.  This allows them to work together and achieve the
broadest working net, with just 2 members to start and direct the net.

The net is closed at the end of the 2 hours, and a new net is
established with each oncoming NCS, which allows maintenance of the most
accurate net roster.

One member is appointed to track weather conditions in the path of the
deployed teams, as radio station coverage is minimal at best from local
broadcast stations,  Major media resources are monitored to keep abreast
of the fuel and power situation along the route.  Having plenty of fuel
in the ground is no good if the station has no electricity to pump it
out of the ground.

An open fuel station may clog one lane of a 4 lane divided highway as
vehicles line up for miles to exit and refuel.  The deployed members
need to be in the proper lane, before the traffic snarl happens.  They
also need to be in touch with federal resources in convoy to keep them
abreast, as the federal response may not be as well organized.

Cellular coverage is monitored.  MCS and ANCS use Skype to coordinate
the net via text chat.  Deployed members use Echolink where cellular
coverage allows use of their air card for wireless access to an ISP.
Winlink is used via aircard telnet/internet connectivity to direct
messages to a single or group address, giving a little privacy if they
are the first to arrive to a delicate situation and wish not to be in
the clear with their Sitrep..

SHARES stations are active in the net, or on standby for direct access
to federal entities.  Phone Patch operators are on hand, ready to
provide first access into a developing situation that may involve
hazmat, mass casualty, etc.

While traveling, something like a TS-2000 in cross band mode could give
all members of a amateur caravan access to the HF net, if each member
had something useful to report; otherwise, VHF from car to car, and one
vehicle contained the team leader from each deployment group to relay
the Intel back into the net for distribution.

OK, How am I doing so far?

Point to ponder: Anyone who deploys "without prior notice" has a highly
technical tactical designator assigned to them - "fool"....

David
KD4NUE