Skip,

Realistically, the 5/8 wave will be maybe around the gain of a dipole. I
would use 2 dBi, maybe 3 dBi at the most. I don't think there are any
5/8 wave verticals that can do much better than that and some antenna
gurus point out that they can perform worse than half wave antennas. I
have both quarter and 5/8 wave so I will try and do at least a "local"
test.

We must not loose sight of the fact that almost no hams have horizontal
polarization and almost all have do have vertical polarization. And weak
signal hams do not tend to focus on public service activities so you may
not have any stations that you can work. I don't know of anyone who has
any interest in my area. I would suggest that hams ask their weak signal
operators whether or not they would be willing to participate in this.
It takes a LOT of practice to make this work. You may not get it to work
at the time you most need it.

Since voice communication is not going to be used (too weak a signal)
for many of these digital transfers, you would need to set up a specific
frequency and offset. I have been monitoring and sending on 144.144 as
suggested by others, but have never heard anything. But that is mostly
on vertical polarization for now.

The period transmission is very clever, something like Patrick, F6CTE's
Multipsk programs sending of repeated characters. You could just have a
macro set with the repeating character, and you probably do this.

kh6ty wrote:
> [...]
> can provide. Add to that the probability that many existing vertical beams
> are not mounted on rotators, and the change to horizontal polarization
> appears to be well worth the effort, based on available information. You can
> also include the possibility that using a horizontally polarized quad
> provides a lower takeoff angle close to ground that a yagi, and you can see
> why there are many reasons to insist on using horizontal polarization.
> Finally, in a serious emcomm situation, NBEMS only needs to reach
> connectivity with the Internet for email delivery or POTS for phone
> delivery, so any available forwarding station will suit the purpose, whether
> a part of an organized emcomm effort or not. The need is only to get the
> message to the EOC or other recipient, and all existing weak signal 2m
> stations are using horizontal polarization.
>
> Our main interest is emcom messaging, and even a single dB of advantage may
> mean getting the traffic through or not, so we have use the best methods at
> our disposal, and the preponderance of evidence says that horizontal
> polarization has an advantage over vertical polarization.
>
> 73, Skip KH6TY
> NBEMS Development Team
>

>> 73,
>>
>> Rick, KV9U
>>

>> kh6ty wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Rick,

>>> Yes, definitely! DominoEx is a frequency shift keying mode, not a phase
>>> shift mode, but doppler problems are still sometimes a problem, but not
>>> nearly as much as on PSK31 or PSK63, so that is one reason why we now use
>>> DominoEx. Once the reflected signal arrives 180 degrees out of phase with
>>> the direct signal, it cancels out the direct signal for a while and there
>>> is
>>> no mode that is going to print under that condition. The wider, multitone
>>> modes have less problem because the data is redundant and spread over the
>>> width of the signal, but even they are no completely immune. However, on
>>> our
>>> twice-weekly net, since we switched to DominoEx, the number of multipath
>>> problems is considerably down, even on SSB. Initial tests suggest that
>>> MFSK16 might even be better on FM, since it is the most sensitive mode we
>>> currently have with almost enough speed for messaging. It is completely
>>> unusable on VHF SSB, though, because many transceivers in the field are
>>> not
>>> frequency-stable enough to stay tuned. On FM, the carrier frequency
>>> sweeps
>>> over the entire passband, so only the audio frequency stability is
>>> important. DominoEx is especially valuable for drifting signals on SSB,
>>> because it can tolerate mistuning of 50% of the signal width. The
>>> IC-746Pro
>>> and the FT-857D, if without an optional TCXO, just drift too much to be
>>> usable on SSB, but are OK on FM, even though the S/N of FM is worse than
>>> SSB. Note that any multipath cancellations simply cause repeated blocks
> [...]
>>> which cost under $200 for a single band one, so you need to spend another
>>> $100 for a SignaLinkUSB interface in order to use macros to do the PTT
>>> switching. The FM Transceiver Interface solves that problem for only $10.
>>> have built 10 of them which I will be giving out to the first few people
>>> who
>>> want to join the net but have only FM transceivers, but they also need to
>>> have an OptimizedQuad, or small yagi, horizontally polarized.

>>> I have done only one test so far, as it is difficult to arrange, since
>>> both
>>> stations have to switch polarization, but that first test did show a huge
>>> advantage using horizontal polarization. Range on FM between a 5/8
>>> wavelength whip mounted on a Prius and my quad turned for vertical
>>> polarization was only 25-30 miles, depending on whether or not the mobile
>>> was clear of trees, but 70 miles was a piece of cake between the
>>> OptimizedQuad and my own quad turned for horizontal polarization. We
>>> could
>>> have gone even farther if we had time. Next opportunity, we hope to be
>>> able
>>> to keep going. I am now more than convinced that the difference is real.
>>> There was once a reference, which I cannot find, that found that a quad
>>> near
>>> a ground surface retains a low takeoff angle, but the takeoff angle of a
>>> yagi of the same gain increases to as much at 40 degrees off the horizon,
>>> which means a quad may be the best choice for portable operation anyway.

>>> Yes, high antennas are probably the reason. At seven wavelengths from
>>> real
>>> ground, the disadvantage to using vertical polarization over horizontal
>>> drops from 6 dB at two wavelengths to only one dB at seven wavelengths,
>>> but
>>> portable stations or mobiles generally are not going to be able to get
>>> have
>>> antennas much higher than 2 wavelenghts. The jury is also out whether
>>> horizontal polarization is an advantage over several hundred miles. I
>>> will
>>> not be able to test this until the coastal tropo scatter season comes
>>> back
>>> in the spring.
>>>
>>> If your yagi has more gain that you need, you can just rotate it 45
>>> degrees
>>> and cover both polarizations, but with a 3 dB gain loss on both.

>>> That would be great! We need as much information as we can get,
>>> especially
>>> since lower South Carolina is quite flat, with no hills until you get to
>>> the
>>> upper part of the state. We do know this for sure - using a sensitive
>>> digital mode with either SSB or FM greatly extends the range over using
>>> phone, simply because the digital mode can copy under the noise level and
>>> phone cannot. The average modulation of a phone signal is only 30%, or
>>> 50% with compression, but the passband needs to be over 2 KHz. With a