> Could you comment further on your experiences with RFSM?
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U

My local MARS group has been experimenting with RFSM8000.
Like MIXW, it is made in Russia, and the author wants to earn some
money selling it.  Free trial licenses are available.

RFSM8000 uses the Mil-Spec modem - I forgot the modem number - but
it is the same one used by MARS/ALE.  It is supposed to reach
8000bps under good conditions on HF.  I typically experience under
600bps.  Some say its techniques to get high speed make it illegal
for US Hams.  European HAMs are using it.  MARS does not use the HAM
bands, so its OK for MARS.

Just because MARS is experimenting with it, does not mean it is
adapted by MARS or that it is even a desirable mode.  MARS plays
with everything and seems to like having almost every tool in their
tool-box.  MARS even has CW nets.

RFSM8000 has three functions:
1. keyboarding NETs - somewhat similar to PSK31.  Since we have
PSk31, MT63, OLIVIA, and other modes that give similar functionality.
2. file transfers from one user to another user.  Most think EasyPal
is better.  Maybe when we get further along in the sunspot cycle,
RFSM8000 will achieve higher speeds and be the file x-fer method of
choice?  I don't know - time will tell.
3. Email Server.  This is the most interesting function.  Let's say
a disaster area has no internet and can reach an RFSM8000 email
server which has internet capability.  Then those without internet
can connect (one at a time - similar to a winlink RMS) to send and
receive email.  The Email server sends all users emails using the
single server's email address.  The subject will start with the
originator's call-sign.  When the recipient of the email hits reply,
he needs to remove the "Re:" from the subject so the subject starts
with the call-sign.  The reply email goes back to the email-server's
email address, and is routed to the appropriate user's mailbox for
pickup by that callsign over HF radio.  The simplicity of this
compared to Winlink is that there are no CMS email servers that it
needs to reach.  It is not a huge email system.  All that needs to
be reachable on the internet is the SMTP server of the ISP the email
server is using, and the POP3 server the email server is using.  The
POP3 server can be ISP's email, or some other email, like gmail,
gmx, or any other free email service on the web which uses POP3.
Currently RFSM8000 can not make SECURED pop3 connections, and many
email systems on the internet do not allow unsecured pop3
connections.  So this limits one as to which free emails one can
use.  Whether the RFSM8000 email server has internet or not,
RFSM8000 users can send mail to CALLSIGNS which connect via HF to
the RFSM8000 email server.  MARS preferred message handling system
is WINLINK.  If Winlink is broken or unreachable this can be an
option.  However, it is not clear to me what kind of disaster would
make Winlink unusable.

Now, on my computer, I have a solution for how to connect to a
SECURED pop3 email provider.  I have hmailserver running on my
computer - it is a SMTP and POP3 email server.  RFSM8000 checks its
email by going to localhost POP3 unsecured.  The hmailserver
routinely sucks in mail into the account from a secured POP3 email
server - such as COMCAST's POP3 email server.  hmailserver can use
secured and unsecured pop3 email servers on the internet, and can
accept secured and unsecured pop3 connections.  But, it may be a bit
much for the average ham to install and configure.

So the initial lure is 8000bps file transfers and 8000bps email
transfers.  We are not seeing such high speeds under current NVIS
conditions.

Howard