Judy and I did further testing of 1/4 wave and 5/8 wave antennas for 2
meters on her vehicle using the ICOM IC-7000 at 50 watts out. The base
station continued to be the 30 foot high homebrew J-pole and now has 100
watts out from the ICOM 746 Pro. The mobile antennas were only mag
mounts, but then again, that is what most of us use.

The furthest point out was 40 miles and we could still communicate on 2
meter SSB, but signals were quite weak. When she was mobile, there were
locations that were so weak as to be unreadable at times. Some of those
areas are difficult to even work the local FM repeater which is about
200 feet higher than our home QTH antenna and about 6 miles closer than
our QTH!

There were slight differences between the 5/8 wave and 1/4 wave.
Sometimes the quarter wave would out perform the 5/8, but in general,
the 5/8 did slightly better, especially farther out. Because of the
convenience of the quarter wave (entering the garage), it is hard to
beat, but I would like to try a half wave Larsen some time.

If I had been using even my modest 4 element Arrow beam, signals would
have been quite good at all times, based upon the nearly unity gain
verticals. I still need to come up with even rudimentary horizontal
dipoles at each end and see how well they compare.

Now on the KU4AB squalo antennas, this is one of the only halo types
that does not seem to have water ingress detuning issues. Even the M
Squared products got low ratings on eham because of this problem. The
KU4AB design is the one that got the good numbers on the Central States
VHF Society test. They did not mention that there were any anomalies in
the omnidirectional pattern, but your experience sounds unacceptable!

According to the M Squared advertising on the 144HO loop, they claim as
you do that only horizontal type antennas can give you the ground
reflection gain. Their numbers and shape of the antenna look very much
like the KU4AB. I wonder why so many are going with the squalo shape
over what would seem to be a stronger shape when in a circle?

Can you recommend any current manufacturer for circular halos? The other
well known manufacturer has been SK for some time and no one was
interested in taking over the business.

Maybe build my own? A single halo may not be too bad, but I don't know
if I can do a good job with phasing lines. And those gamma matches are a
challenge.

What are stretched quad loops? Can't seem to find anything on them. Or
is that the optimized quad, but not intended for mobile operation, more
for portable?

The Cebik antenna was in March 2008 QST entitled, "A New Spin on the Big
Wheel." While the three dipole design could be homebrewed, a well made
more wheel like design would be needed to operate mobile due to his HPOD
triangle probably not handling vibration and wind as well. I like the
easy matching approach taken. The article has some background
information I have not seen elsewhere. He considers the gain to be about
7.2 dBi at 20 feet height, and with very accurate omni characteristics.

The second design can be accessed by ARRL members and is a circle of
dipoles rather than having them unconnected with any supports to stiffen
up the antenna. Harder to build though.