What it means is that the channel will be dominated with "personal" Winlink Pactor-III traffic, completely filling it up, with no sharing, or any space left for truly narrowband modes like PSK31 - all in the name of emergency communications. It has proven impossible for a Pactor-III ARQ station (one side is ALWAYS unattended) to share with any other services that already have priority, just as they do not share with other radio amateur communications, because they do not listen first.

The 99% of hams that do not use Winlink will have that 60m channel taken away from them.

73 - Skip KH6TY

Andy obrien wrote:
It seems odd to me too Rick.

However, i do note...

means of on-off keying (emission designator 150HA1A) continues to be used by amateur stations because of its reliability in difficult propagation conditions. ARRL also states that the other requested emission designators – 60H0J2B (which is generally known as PSK31) and 2K80J2D (which is generally known as PACTOR-III) – are popular narrowband data modes.16 We propose to add these three emission designators, which would allow four permissible emission types to be used in the 60 meter band. We propose to permit any additional modulation techniques that we adopt to be used on all assigned frequencies within the 60 meter band, including the assigned frequency 5368 kHz in the event that we do not adopt our proposal to replace the assigned frequency 5368 kHz with 5358.5 kHz"

PSK31 would be welcome.

Andy K3UK