John W0JAB wrote: "I like it (Pactor) and will operate it."

You have every right to, assuming you don't interfere with an ongoing QSO etc.
And someone calling  your home and swearing at you was uncalled for, so to
speak, and not in the spirit of ham radio.

But several people have brought up some interesting issues.  One was the
statement this is "an 'anti-Winlink without busy frequency detection' rant" not
an anti-Pactor rant.  That never got answered.

Another question was whether Pactor III's bandwidth was really necessary for
live keyboard to keyboard QSOs.  I guess that was an anti-Pactor III question,
but that one also never got answered.

Pactor III is reliable but expensive.  I personally wish there were equally
good (with error correction) but inexpensive alternatives for HF, and also that
Winlink would be changed to listen first.  Because I'm a big proponent of a
diversity of modes, and I think we should work together to coexist.  Heck, I
like the old modes almost as much as the new ones.

Also interesting was David KD4NUE's "When there is a race for control of
long-haul spectrum (for which there is a renewed interest among military,
agency and NGOs), it is nice to have a dog in the hunt."  That may help explain
the ARRL's action, I guess.

   Jim - K6JM