Dan,

Although the TH-F6A has a Packet modem, that is not all you need to
operate APRS with that HT. You will also need a computer, laptop if
operating portable or mobile connected to the TH-F6A, see page 45 of the
operating manual for cables ect. Then you would need a TNC that would
connect with the GPS unit or manually enter in lat - long locations
though software (see UI-View: http://www.ui-view.org/) that the TNC can
send to the TH-F6A. You may want to look for a used Kenwood TH-D7A/G
that has APRS as one of the built in features. There is supposed to be a
new Kenwood HT, Kenwood TH-D72?  with built-in APRS and GPS, however no
release date as to when the new HT will be available. You might watch
the TH-D7 Yahoo group for more information:

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Dan Walker <wd5...@...> wrote:

Plan on orerating mobile have Kenwood TH-F6A and my Tom Tom is not the
highend unit I thought it was. TH-F6A says it has 1200bps modem for VHF.
How do I put it all togather? Not even sure what I can do with APRS.
Been off the air for a while.
  Dan

I would like to try APRS, but have no idea where to start. I now have a
GPS unit from TomTom. What else do I need and where do I start?
  Thank you,
  Dan Walker WD5CND