Dan,

The TH-F6A DOES NOT have a modem in it.  It can be used with an external TNC
(like a Kantronics KPC-3+, Open-Tracker, TNC-X, etc.).

Quite a few of the TH-F6A's suffer from a low deviation problem.  If people
complain about your low audio, you WON'T be able to use the radio for packet
comms, until the deviation problem is fixed.

Radios that do have TNC's in them:  TH-D7; Yaesu VX-8GR, FT-350;Kenwood
TM-D700, TM-D710;  Alinco DR-635 (several other Alinco mobiles have an optional
TNC module).  There are probably a few others I missed.  Most will require a
separate GPS also.

How complicated it is depends on exactly what you want to do.  If you want to
send out APRS packets so that others can track your movements - all you need is
a TinyTrak type device and an HT.  If you want to be able to track others APRS
signals on a map, then you need a full blown TNC, radio, and a computer running
APRS software.  The in-between area (you don't need a map display) - you can
use the self contained units like the Yaesu DX-8GR (includes the GPS) or the
Kenwood D7 HT ( will need a GPS) or the mobiles with TNC's built-in that will
also require a GPS.

Your best bet is to hook up with a local mentor that can help guide you through
the ins and out of getting up and running on APRS.
73,

Jeff Moore  --  KE7ACY
Bend, Oregon

----- Original Message ----- From: Dan Walker

      Thank you, seems so complicated! very limited funds. Will try to get it
setup with your help.
      Again Thanks,
      Dan