There's a good introduction to APRS at http://www.wa8lmf.net/bruninga/aprs.html

At the bottom of that page is a link to join the TAPR APRSSIG email list.  It
is very active and I'd recommend you join.

My other suggestion applies if you would like to have some fun at home right
off the bat.  Download a copy of UI-View32 from http://www.ui-view.org/

You can start out running this program to watch other position beacons as they
are reported through RF digipeaters with IGate capability.  That is, you can
play with APRS reporting from data on the internet even before you hook up your
PC to your radio.  You can focus on any location you want, world-wide.  My
first introduction to APRS, years ago, was when a friend took a vacation and
beaconed the whole trip.  I could watch in near real time as he navigated
across the US.

In addition to UI-View32, you can use the findu.com site to lookup APRS info
directly on the internet.  To focus on your home town of Joplin, MO, using
findu.com, I looked for APRS activity near your lat/long as reported on qrz.com
for your callsign:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?lat=37.034415&lon=-94.509317&last=240&distance=200&n=100&rate=1

It shows the activity in your area, and the fact that there's an IGate in
Joplin.

Next you can connect to your radio and begin to have UI-View32 issue position
reports from your home QTH.  You can configure UI-View32 with your fixed
lat/long info and don't need a GPS for that.  Some people who have a home
weather station that can connect to their PC will use that to have their home
QTH APRS beacons contain the latest temp, wind, etc.

If it's still fun, I'd consider the other recommendations you've gotten.  As
Jeff KE7ACY pointed out "If you want to send out APRS packets so that others
can track your movements - all you need is a TinyTrak type device and an HT."
That can be fun.  One time I was at Dayton for the Hamvention.  I typically
bring along my HT and a mag mount for the rental car.  Hooked up the gps to the
HT as I drove around the area.  I'd given my wife the findu.com link to track
me, and she called me on the cell from back in California and asked why I was
on the freeway going 8 miles per hour.  I thought that was pretty funny, while
I sat there in the traffic jam.

As suggested by others, you can go whole hog while mobile and bring along a lap
or netbook and hook your gps to that, and to the radio.  People do that, but I
would first try some of the simpler ideas listed above to get started.  Good
luck.

   Jim - K6JM