From: Jerry W <k0hzi...@gmail.com>
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: New
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, August 29, 2010, 7:58 AM

Dan,

Although the TH-F6A has a Packet modem, that is not all you need to operate
APRS with that HT. You will also need a computer, laptop if operating portable
or mobile connected to the TH-F6A, see page 45 of the operating manual for
cables ect. Then you would need a TNC that would connect with the GPS unit or
manually enter in lat - long locations though software (see UI-View:
http://www.ui-view.org/) that the TNC can send to the TH-F6A. You may want to
look for a used Kenwood TH-D7A/G that has APRS as one of the built in features.
There is supposed to be a new Kenwood HT, Kenwood TH-D72?  with built-in APRS
and GPS, however no release date as to when the new HT will be available. You
might watch the TH-D7 Yahoo group for more information:

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Dan Walker <wd5...@...> wrote:

Plan on orerating mobile have Kenwood TH-F6A and my Tom Tom is not the highend
unit I thought it was. TH-F6A says it has 1200bps modem for VHF. How do I put
it all togather? Not even sure what I can do with APRS. Been off the air for a
while.
 Dan

I would like to try APRS, but have no idea where to start. I now have a GPS
unit from TomTom. What else do I need and where do I start?
 Thank you,
 Dan Walker WD5CND