Sorry for the slow response to the original Mimecast question.  I want to set
the record straight on what Mimecast does to mail as it flows through us and
why.

Firstly, Mimecast does unpack and repack every message. This does sometimes
break DKIM signatures especially if they are body based. For most of our
customers we have to do this as we are making changes to the message that
require it. The reason varies but things like URL rewriting, attachment
stripping or conversion require it.

The unpack and repack is not unconditional. We have options that allow for it
to be disabled (with the side effect that certain features are not available)
and we also apply it automatically in some cases but existence or breaking of a
DKIM signature is not one of those cases.

For the vast majority of our customers this is entirely fine. Mimecast is their
gateway so all DMARC checks and signature additions are performed at the
Mimecast gateway and the fact that we break signatures is not an issue. If
customers are seeing signatures breaking on outbound messages then they need to
configure Mimecast to sign outbound for them.

I hope that makes sense.

I am interested in the use case for the internal message DMARC checks. If
someone can clarify why that is useful then I would find that helpful.

Simon

[ YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mimecast#p/u/15/_523kC3lcNQ]  [ Twitter:
http://twitter.com/mimecast ]  [ Our Blog: http://blog.mimecast.com/ ]

Simon Tyler
VP of Engineering and Product Research
c: +44 7590 735958
p: +44 207 847 8700
http://www.mimecast.com

Johannesburg Map
GPS: 26' 05.940" S, 18o 28' 04.278" E
(http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104153695170153523925.000469102c74a808b138c≪=-26.099685,28.069403&spn=0.011986,0.026178&z=16)

Cape Town Map
GPS: 33o 56.068" S, 18o 28.320" E
(http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?source=s_q&hl=en≥ocode=&mrt=all&ie=UTF8&g=Fir+Street,+Observatory,Cape+Town&msa=0≪=-33.934753,18.4721&spn=0.00413,0.009656&z=17&msid=100887237870528382628.00046a80a3916c933dad3)

Disclaimer

This email, sent at 09:09:06 on 2018-04-25 from sty...@mimecast.com to
dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org has been scanned for viruses and malware by Mimecast,
an innovator in software as a service (SaaS) for business. 's email continuity,
security, archiving and compliancy is managed by Mimecast's unified email
management platform.
To find out more, email i...@mimecast.co.za or request a demo.

Mimecast SA (Pty) Ltd is a registered company within the Republic of South
Africa, company registration number: 2004/000965/07  VAT No. 4650210547