Hi Simon,

Many thanks for following this up!

I'm not in a position to name the Mimecast customer in question, but will certainly forward your message to them.

Their understanding was that the unpacking and repacking was unconditional, that Mimecast provided no option to turn it off for specified recipients whose live mailboxes were hosted elsewhere (there was MTA-level forwarding happening within the customer's environment) and for whom DKIM-preserving forwarding was therefore a requirement, the only Mimecast features required for those particular users being upfront spam filtering. In the test messages that I saw, Mimecast was making no policy-relevant content changes at all, it was merely changing the body encoding; this breaks DKIM signatures and therefore DMARC but has little other practical effect.

A non-"body based" DKIM signature is essentially an invitation to phish, as it allows an adversary to present - and have pass DKIM validation - any body and attachments that they wish. It is technically possible to sign headers only but this is not a widespread practice, and not an obviously useful one.

The recent discussion on this list about internal DMARC checks appears to have been a discussion at crossed purposes: internal to Office 365 vs. internal to a single tenant.

Regards,

- Roland