On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 6:27 PM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I interpret your data differently.   These domains collected data until it
> was clear that they could safely move to enforcement.   Thereafter, they
> saw no need to study reports, at least until their configuration changes.
>  Daily reporting is perceived as a waste of system and staff resources.
>
> I suggested an errors-only reporting option, which would allow for error
> monitoring without the wasted resources, but it was discarded by the group.

Not all DMARC passes are intentional passes. The SPF upgrade attacks that
we've witnessed over the past year or so and too-permissive SPF records in
general are but two examples of where DMARC passes can occur for mail that
was not authorized by the Domain Owner. A reporting model that only reports
failures would not reveal these flows to the Domain Owner.

Please note that I am explicitly NOT arguing for a DMARC mechanism that
does not rely on SPF; in fact I oppose such a thing at this time. Rather, I
submit that it behooves Domain Owners to routinely clean and manage their
SPF records to mitigate against risk of these sorts of attacks, and DMARC
aggregate reports are a tool that can be used to do so.

--

*Todd Herr * | Technical Director, Standards & Ecosystem
*e:* todd.h...@valimail.com

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.