Alessandro Vesely wrote on 2023-11-17 10:22:
On Thu 16/Nov/2023 16:47:48 +0100 Olivier Hureau wrote:
However, I think you should have a fixed value for the /version variable in order to clearly differentiate the XSD version, Even thought it is clearly specified in RFC 7489 : ``` The "version" for reports generated per this specification MUST bethe value 1.0. ``` It is not yet specified in Dmarcbis.

That's right.  The only mention is in Appendix B. Sample Report, saying <version>1.0</version>.

[...]

The IETF XML Registry is defined by RFC 3688.[*]  IANA is supposed to insert our "dmarc-2.0" per IANA Considerations section.  Referencing that schema in the feedback element identifies the format more clearly than a version number. However, Matt suggested to keep <version> for compliance with RFC 7489[†].  In that case, is it correct to stick to 1,0?

[*] https://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/xml-registry.xhtml
[†] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/JdRxmT9Aw3HkWM7rr3Av9B3EwRc

Speaking from today, I think the presence or content of the <version> field does not really matter. The "dmarc-2.0" XML schema declares it optional, which is probably the best choice.

In my data, 75% of reporters announce <version>1.0</version>. They can continue to do so. Dave Crocker has argued that bumping the version number is of no use:
<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/inqFhiHcaSnAaub8ZzyiLSbUTsw/>

Omitting the <version> field might confuse the statistics of report analyzers, but most likely won't do any harm.

Regards,
Matt