On March 14, 2024 8:38:17 PM UTC, Todd Herr
<todd.herr=40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 4:34 PM Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com>
>wrote:
>

>> I think this is correct.  I think it's obviously enough correct that I'm
>> surprised anyone was confused.
>>
>> Do we know what the theory was that led people to think otherwise?
>>
>> Seems to me we don't really need this, but maybe there's a reason.
>>

>The reasons given were:
>
>   1. https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5863#section-4.1
>   2. https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6376#section-7.5
>   3. Neither RFC 7489 nor DMARCbis contain the phrase "CNAME", so if it's
>   not explicitly mentioned...
>
>Granted, the first two citations are in regards to DKIM records, not DMARC
>records, but those were the reasons given.

Thanks.

CNAMES have been used for DKIM since DKIM has existed.  I don't think any of
those things say don't use CNAMES.

I think we don't need to say anything.  Explaining how DNS works is out of
scope.  This kind of thing is a distraction which makes the document more
complex and confusing.

Scott K