On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 9:11 AM John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> It appears that Todd Herr  <todd.h...@valimail.com> said:
> >I agree that clarifying it can't hurt, obviously, ...
>
> I disagree, it does hurt.
>
> If we say you're allowed to use CNAMEs to point to DMARC records,
> people are to say uh oh, is there something special here? What about
> DKIM records? what about SPF records? how about SPF includes? or SPF
> redirects?
>
> Really, there is nothing to say here, so let's not say it.

+1, I don't understand what needs to be clarified here.  If I ask for a TXT
record at a given name, I expect to get one back (or a non-success code).
It really doesn't matter to DMARC whether that process traversed a CNAME
record in the process.  (Or if it does matter, I've yet to see a reason
why.)

-MSK, p11g