On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 6:28 PM <li...@w2irt.net> wrote:

> Not sure what you mean by “set drive power” this is something I generally
> do manually, but would love the ability to do it automatically based on
> band segment.

The K3 will automatically memorize and recall the required drive level set
on each band, but not each band segment, if you set K3 *MENU:PWR SET* to *PER
BAND*.  The K3 remembers two drive levels per band, one "barefoot", and the
other "when the AMP is ON and in OPER".  So you can leave the K3 set to
100W drive, then turn on the AMP and put it in OPER mode (you'll see a
message on the K3 when you do that, if connected properly), then turn down
the PWR knob to set the drive level needed on that band when you're using
the amp.  An asterisk appears next to the power level on the K3 display, to
indicate that you are setting the "when the amp. is in OPER" power level.
The asterisk goes away when you put the amp. in STBY or OFF.  Set the drive
needed once, each band, with the amp. in OPER mode, and and you're all set;
the K3 will set the drive power to the last-used values for amp in OPER
mode, on every band.

The KPA1500 tuner is set by band *segment*, but not the drive power.

40m SSB is a problem child for me where a short Yagi means I have to cut
> back drive power above 7175 or so due to SWR.

The K3 will not remember that.  How high is the SWR up there?  I assume you
are using the KPA1500 ATU, but if SWR is >3:1, I don't think you can run
1500W even with the tuner engaged.

> I really want the exact same functionality that I have with the amp here
> in the shack, connected via the old Y-Box.

Yes, you will get that by extending the AUX cable, which must be in series
with the extension.  I would try the length you need to see if it works.
Chances are it will work fine if you use a quality cable.

I will do an accurate measurement, but I’m pretty sure it’s somewhere
> between 15 and 20 feet between the Y-box and the proposed location of the
> amp.

Should work fine.  I can supply a 2.5' M/M cable from rig to Y-BOX if you
need one.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 6:33 PM <li...@w2irt.net> wrote:

> Forgot to add in my reply that I have LAN connectivity at the proposed amp
> location, connected directly from the main switch on the other side of the
> basement.

Great, then you only need one 15-pin cable or one new Ethernet run, not two.

73,
Bob, N6TV