On Thu, Jun 2, 2022, 11:24 PM <li...@w2irt.net> wrote:

> *Just so I’m clear on the concept, you’re suggesting taking my existing
> AUX cable from the Y-box to the amp on the desk, and adding a DB-15
> straight-through extension to it, and connecting the far end of that
> extension into the relocated KPA-1500 in the basement, yes?*

Yes, though it doesn't matter (electrically) which device connects with the
Elecraft AUX cable.    You could plug the extension into the Y-BOX and the
AUX cable into the amp.  FYI, the correct term is DE15 (sometimes HD15 for
High Density).  No such thing as DB15 or DB9 though, they are commonly
misused.

> I can supply a 2.5' M/M cable from rig to Y-BOX if you need one.
>
> *[pjd] At the moment I have the Y-box plugged into the K3s, with one line
> going to the amp, and a second line sending band data to my Ameritron
> RCS-12 automatic antenna switch controller at the base of the tower. *

The controller (band decoder box) is usually located in the shack, with the
relay box outside.  That should be more reliable.

> *At the moment I have no plans to replace that, despite the fact it’s
> basically junk that doesn’t work automatically when the shack is below
> 65°F, which is the case all winter long! But I’m trying to see why I would
> need to change out the cable from the radio to the Y-box. Am I missing
> something?*

If it's 5 ft long, that adds to the total length between K3 and AMP and
RCS-12 controller.  If you don't need 5 ft between rig and Y-BOX, replacing
it with a 2.5 ft cable will reduce the  the total length (and loss) by a
little bit.  But it will probably won't make any difference.

73,
Bob, N6TV