On 16 Oct 2021 at 12:07, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:

> Which is why the HV input product is needed.  A 1500W inverter from wal
> mart is only $100  (one tenth as much) and the only difference is the
> input circuitry and winding on the HV transformer.

Maybe someday.

Keep in mind that those $100 12 and 24 volt truck stop inverters are
something of a special case.  They're disposable commodity items probably
made in the hundreds of thousands in Chinese sweatshops, with components
produced in the millions in other Chinese sweatshops, using reference
designs funded years ago by the Chinese government.  The cost to set up
manufacturing of these is low, and the competition among manufacturers has
to be cutthroat.

As soon as a manufacturer deviates from the reference design, they have
additional costs for design, testing, and certification (if they don't
counterfeit the regulatory marks).  Component quantities go down, so
component cost goes up.  Production is lower.  Competition is less.  So the
retail price goes up.

It's a fairly safe bet that some Chinese entrepreneur is out there keeping
an eye on the potential market for a 200+ volt input inverter.  When he sees
a decent profit in one, it will get introduced.  If it sells well, others
will hop on the bandwagon.  Then component costs will fall as production
scales up, and competition will most likely drive the finished inverter
price down into the few-hundred range.

Of course all this assumes that 5 years from now the US and China aren't
lobbing nuclear missiles at each other, and/or sabotaging each others'
internet.  If that happens, you can forget the $100 truck stop inverters,
too.  And that will be the least of your worries.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     The telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat.  You pull
     his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles.
     Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here,
     they receive them there.  The only difference is that there
     is no cat.

                                              -- Albert Einstein