On 4 May 2024 at 12:05, paul dove via EV wrote:

> at some point they take away your license. What then?

Here in France we have a fix for that.  It's a vehicle class called VSP -
voitures sans permis.  That's literally "cars without licenses," which
refers to the drivers rather than the cars.

If you've lost your license - from too many violations, drunk driving, age,
whatever - you're allowed to drive a VSP.

In some ways, a VSP is similar to a Comuta-Car  It's about the same length
(3m) and about the same motor power (6kW).  It has 2 seats and some space in
the back for groceries. It's a little slower (top speed limited to 45 km/h)
and lighter (max weight 425kg) than the C-car.

Traditionally VSPs were powered by Asian-made gas and diesel small-tractor
engines, but electric VSPs are growing in popularity.

The idea seems to be that if you run into someone, you can't do much damage
at 425kg and 45 km/h.  And if you get in someone's way and get mowed down,
you and the car will be the crash energy absorber.  I don't like to think
too much about that "feature."  :-(

Their big advantage over any current "self driving" car, EV or ICEV, is
cost.  Typical cost is around 10-11k euros, in a range from about 8k to
about 15k.  So you can buy 3 or 4 VSPs for the cost of the cheapest Tesla,
even without the Tesla's autonomy software subscription

That's a good thing, since most of the folks who need them here (I know one)
are lucky to even have 10k euros for a car.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Some people ask, "Why?" Others ask, "Why not?"
     Then later they say, "Oh."

                              -- Found on the Net

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/