James Sparenberg wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 15:55, Rob Blomquist wrote:
>> OK, I now have 9.2 installed on my laptop via FTP. It was about a 4 hour
>> experience for me. Draksound is not able to detect the ISA card, and is
>> not useful for this card.
>>
>> Everything is working pretty well, except for the sound, it has a Crystal
>> 4237B, which is found on the ISA bus, and I am able to mess with it using
>> the CS423x driver in sndconfig, but I have not gotten any sound from it
>> yet.
>>
>> Apprently it can emulate a Soundblaster, AdLib or WSS card, but using the
>> SB driver crashes the machine so that the only way out is to crash the
>> system. The AdLib driver crashes sndconfig. The WSS driver also locks up
>> the system like the SB.
>>
>> Any ideas or experiences configuring the sound on this machine. My
>> introduction to this machine was from the Linux Laptops website, and my
>> life is not as simple.
>>
>> Rob
>
> Rob draksound AFAIK is only effective on PCI type cards.  Since your is
> ISA, using the old standby of sndconfig (just urpmi sndconfig)  This
> should bring you online no sweat.  One note.  You have to run it from a
> regular tty not a konsole or xterm window for it to work right.  I've
> used this chipset in the past and it works well, sndconfig has it in
> it's database and can get you up.
>
> James

I have a 4236-card which sndconfig can get sound from, but it have not,
(since mdk8.1) been able to save its settings. Every time i install a new
mdk since then I've had to resort to run pnpdump + isapnp, and comment out
when given multiple choise. I also put

alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
options sound dmabuf=1
alias synth0 opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=10

I then commented out the sound entries in /etc/isapnp.gone
(where i found the cards addresses)

But since you have a 4237 card, this post may be totally wrong for you :)

/Björn